web analytics

Restaurant Paleo

January 11, 2011
By

As I was picking up my place a bit last night and thinking about what to make for dinner, I got in the mood for “restaurant food”. I wanted flavor and texture mixed together in a way that makes you stop what you’re doing and you’re forced to take notice to say “dang this is good”. I’m sure eventually there will many paleo/primal restaurants to frequent, but for now, we will have to rely on each others ideas, creativity and sharing of recipes to serve some “restaurant paleo” food at home. I humbly share the following with you. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. As always; simple to make, real food and some love mixed together for a different dish.

Champagne braised turnips with shallots and miso. Fresh grilled gulf shrimp with a ponzu and wasabi butter glaze.

I bought some delicious shrimp at the farmers market. These babies were just a day old and had the heads on. I also picked up some organice turnips and a few shallots. Pictures are a bit in reverse order but you get the point.

Simple stuff so here we go;

Slice up 1 large shallot nice and thin. Wash your turnips and slice. About 1/3–1/2 an inch thick. In butter saute the shallots and add the sliced turnips. Medium heat and give them time to brown on each side (bottom picture). Mix 1 teaspoon of miso with a bit of water and when turnips are browned on both sides add the miso mixture and make sure everything is coated. Now I had one glass of champagne on New Years Eve, so I saved the rest for cooking purposes. It was just a cheap bottle as I knew I would only have a sip. An adolescent experience has me not liking champagne all that much ;-) Pour the champagne on top of the turnips so that they are almost covered, turn your heat down a bit and let them do their thing. They are ready when easily pierced with a fork.

For the fresh shrimp, I grabbed a splash of olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder and a dash of chili powder. I let that sit in the fridge for the day. After taking the shrimp out of the fridge and letting them come to temperature a bit, I drizzled them with ponzu sauce and a dollop of wasabi. Now put them on the grill. The heads can take a bit more heat then the body so have them on the hottest part of your grill. I then took the ponzu wasabi left over sauce, put it in a small pan, added some butter and reduced it down. When the shrimps were almost done on the grill, I spooned the butter ponzu reduction over them on the grill for a bit of a glaze and extra flavor.

Next time you find yourself in Naples FL, come and have dinner with my girlfriend and I. And we will indulge in some “restarant paleo” food and some good conversation. Red wine and sake appreciated as houesewarming gifts. ;-)

Enjoy your day!

10 Responses to Restaurant Paleo

1. stew on January 11, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Wasabi, ponzu sauce, miso – my taste-buds are activated. Will try this next time I have shrimp.

• Marc on January 12, 2011 at 8:07 am

Hi Stew,
      Let me know how it comes out. Good stuff for sure!

Marc

2. Wine Glaze » Restaurant Paleo | Feel Good Eating on January 11, 2011 at 2:35 pm

[...] Restaurant Paleo | Feel Good Eating AKPC_IDS += "8347,";Popularity: unranked [...]

• Marc on January 12, 2011 at 8:07 am

Can’t figure out if this was a spam comment or what kind of site this is….

3. Natalie on January 11, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Turnips…with champagne…?! Now that sounds verrry interesting. (Not in the slightly rude “I have nothing nice to say but I have to say something” but in the “Wow! Cool! Seriously? Gotta try that!” way.) I never tried ponzu, but it sounds tasty. Enjoyed the “teenage experience” champagne comment. Champagne, with apologies to the French, isn’t that great in my opinion…I’m with you, bring on the red wine and sake.

• Marc on January 12, 2011 at 8:10 am

The champagne imparts a unique flavor.
      I know people that make their easter hams with champagne.

Ponzu is just like a “citrussy” soy sauce.

I hear you on the champagne…But then again I might have permanently damaged my champagne taste buds early on ;-)

Marc

4. Boot Camp Nolan on January 13, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I never would have thought to combine turnips and shrimp. What exactly about these to items makes them go together in a dish. I have little experience working with turnips.

5. Restaurant Paleo | Paleo Digest on January 19, 2011 at 12:08 pm

[...] Feel Good Eating –  As I was picking up my place a bit last night and thinking about what to make for dinner, I got in the mood for “restaurant food”. I wanted flavor and texture mixed together in a way that makes you stop what you’re doing and you’re forced to take notice to say “dang this is good”. I’m sure eventually there will many paleo/primal restaurants to frequent, but for now, we will have to rely on each others ideas, creativity and sharing of recipes to serve some &#8220… [...]

6. Maureen on January 28, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Wow! Very impressive Marc. Truly, it looks delicious. Love the blogs.

• Marc on February 1, 2011 at 7:25 am